Pages

8th grade graduation, blueberry picking, camp update

Thursday, July 2, 2015

I already posted about the 8th grade dance but I don't think I posted about Harry's middle school promotion.  Dave and I don't make a big deal out of this milestone as they only went to middle school for 3 years.  If it was a 1-8th grade school (like Catholic school) I think it is a bigger deal.

Anyway, we had some MAJOR flooding in Houston in May.  Our neighborhood flooded (not our house) and many of our neighbors and some of my friends had serious flood damage.  A few people I know lost everything. It was horrific. You simply would not believe the devastation unless you saw it. As president of my Mom's group at church, I organized help for these families in looking for places for them to stay, collecting gift cards for them, delivering meals, doing laundry and lots of other stuff.  I never posted about the floods here because I was really busy at the time trying to coordinate help for the families in our church group who lost so much.  But I did mention it on FB and IG and people from all over sent me gift cards to help these families.  It was so generous and kind.  Thank you.  The families were SO grateful.

So, Harry's graduation was actually the week of the flood. The award ceremony was cancelled the day before due to flooding. Harry did get the History award which surprised us all because he is not a History buff (Will is) but apparently he knows his History.  Good job Harry! He also graduated with all A's  for the year.  I think he actually had all A's all three years.  He is a good student.

It was raining the morning of the ceremony and the graduation was very delayed.

harry8grad_0550

harry8grad_0551

HArrygrad_0556

Kate was in school and Will had final exams so just the 3 of us went to the graduation ceremony.

Without getting too specific, these types of transitions are a struggle for Harry.  We could barely get him in the car for his 5th grade graduation.  He was a little better this time but afterwards I saw it coming out.  

We wanted to take him out to lunch but he was not in a good mood.  We did end up convincing him to go for seafood  (his favorite) at Pappadeux.  We had a nice lunch.  It is hard for me to watch him go though these times. And I feel so helpless. Adjusting to middle school was extremely tough and I am praying every single day that his adjustment to high school is better.

He has attended three camps this summer (basketball, lacrosse and study skills) at his new high school.  So, hopefully he is feeling comfortable there already.

The weekend before the flood, we went blueberry picking. Let me just say that Harry is 14 y'all.  he DOES NOT want me taking his photo.  So, most of these are not of him.  I love him dearly.  He is a great kid.  But he is a teenage boy and I have to respect that.  I was just glad he came with us!

DSC_0499

So someone on IG commented how I dressed her to match the blueberries. Ironically, we drove to the farm to go STRAWBERRY picking but we got there too late so they diverted us to the blueberries.  So, it was not planned at all (I am 99% sure she picked this out) but it worked beautifully.

DSC_0503

DSC_0507

DSC_0510

DSC_0511

DSC_0517

There were beautiful wild flowers in the blueberry patches.

DSC_0522

DSC_0525

DSC_0532

DSC_0534


DSC_0539

DSC_0547

DSC_0546

Blueberry picking was fun but (for me and Harry) the hilight of the day was on the drive home. We saw a farmer's market and this was in the parking lot....

DSC_0548


We LOVE lobster rolls.  And they are not super common here in Texas.  So, Harry and I had to have one.  Kate opted for an all natural local made popsicle.

IMG_7284 These were so good.

The following week, we got together with our friends to bake a berry tart...

DSC_0724

DSC_0728

DSC_0735
IMG_7356

And at the risk of this post being the LONGEST ever, I wanted to give a quick camp update too.

Kate and Harry are only at camp for one week this year because we are taking a longer vacation this summer.  It is quiet without them for sure but I am enjoying the quiet.  I have taken a few naps, done some deep cleaning and enjoyed the time with Dave.  It's been good.

I do check the camp website a few times a day to see what they are up to.

At first I though Kate was spending all her time in the gym...

Katecamp01

katecbars

But then luckily I saw these photos...

Katecamp02


Cheering on her teammates in morning competitions.

Katecamp04

Making a cross in the craft center at free time.

Katecampcooking

Cooking oatmeal cookies.
I am surprised she is in the cooking class again this year.
 She loved it last year but I did not think she picked it this year.

mustache

All the girls were eating milk and cookies (the ones they made).  And they tried to make milk mustaches.  I think we need to work on this:)

Katebeleive1

At the Christmas is July party.

kateball

And this last one is from this morning's competition.

Ever time I see one of these photos, I want to tell her to brush her hair and put it in a pony tail!

I was not seeing any pictures of Harry at all.  That bummed me out. But then I finally saw two.

Harrycamp01

This is one of Harry's favorite things to do at camp.  It's called gaga ball or smash ball.

Harryfunnel

This is a giant funnel that dumps into a lake.

So clearly Harry avoids the camera at camp too-- not just at home:)

6 comments:

  1. What a great update!! Congrats to Harry on his award and all A's! Maddy graduates from 8th grade next spring from her K-8 Catholic school. She's looking forward to 8th grade -- 7th was hard. Hope they have fun at camp and you all have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...do they have an adult version of this camp?! I'm pretty sure I need a week of camp! How fun.

    KK @ www.preppypinkcrocodile.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KK,
      You would Not believe the stuff they have there. Water skiing, skateboarding, rock climbing, every sport imaginable. Harry is taking mountain biking. I so wish adults could go. It is gorgeous too and in the mountains. They really are lucky they get to go. I never went to anything like this as a kid. That's why I always call it Camp Utopia.

      Delete
  3. Great blog post! I am glad you still blog. Camp looks like a blast!
    Transitions can be hard here too. My oldest heads to middle school this year. 😳 I am hoping for the best.
    Enjoy your last few days of quiet and napping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. kim, your blueberry pics are so beautiful! you know, nashville had a horrible flood like that in 2010 when i was in china adopting molly. i just knew my house had flooded b/c i was reading about the devastation on the internet and the locations they were mentioning were all within a mile of my house. Extreme home makeover actually came and renovated a local school that was destroyed and it is less than a mile from my house. but luckily, my house was fine. i had a small leak in my roof that a neighbor actually found before it was an issue (she walked through my house everyday while i was in china to check on it) . everytime i skyped with my mom (while in china) i thought she was lying about my house! ha! anyway, sounds like you all are having a fun and busy summer! sounds great! enjoy vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.