Pages

Savory Red Pepper Soup

Saturday, January 22, 2011
DSC_0390



Despite the name of this recipe, this soup can be on the sweet side depending on the pears you use.

1/2 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (I use earth balance dairy free, soy free spread and olive oil instead)
2 large onions chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
6 red bell peppers, roasted, seeded, and chopped (you can buy these already roasted in jars)
2 firm pears, peeled, cored and chopped (I prefer tart pears)
5 cups chicken stock (not broth)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt
freshly ground pepper
creme fraiche or sour cream for optional garnish

Melt butter in large saucepan.  Add onions and garlic and saute for 10 minutes.  Add carrots and saute an additional 10 minutes. Add potato and red peppers and saute 10 minutes.  Add pears, chicken stock and parsley.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.  Season with salt and pepper.  Use an immersion blender  or transfer soup in small bathes to a food processor or blender.  Process until smooth. Reheat.

Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with creme fraiche.

A few notes:

I LOVE this soup.  The kids eat it and they say it is good but it is not their absolute favorite.

It is better on the second day.  It also freezes well.

It is chock full of vitamins and nutrients (A, C, E and B6, potassium, calcium, selenium and fiber).

You can use jarred roasted red peppers.  I have made it both ways and honestly the soup is better if you roast the peppers yourself.  The flavor is richer and more complex.

You can make this vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead or chicken stock.

Recipe from Stop and Smell the Rosemary.

On another note, thank you for sweet and compassionate comments yesterday. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated them. I am better. I have gained perspective. It helps to vent and I know that my problems really are minor in the big scheme of life.  Yesterday, Kate and I were browsing in a gift shop and I picked up Max Lucado's Grace for the Moment.  When I crawled into bed to read yesterday's reading, I was astounded.  In the third sentence it said, "you aren't condemned to grumpydom"  The whole passage is about change and getting out of a rut!  Can you beleive that!?  I rarely even use the word grumpy so I knew that I was meant to see this book and that reading.  It was no coincidence.


I also remembered this quote that I posted a year and a half ago...









"Watch what you say to yourself....for you create your own reality."
Sean Stephenson
I realized that if I go around saying that I am grumpy or in a rut or feeling low energy, I will continue to feel that way.  Only I have the power to get my sunny disposition back.  I believe that.  It is why my photography blog is called "Choosing Happiness."
Anyway, enjoy your weekend and let me know if you try the soup or have a favorite soup recipe to share.

9 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling more like yourself...I also have to "pump" myself up to feel energized this time of the year (It is 0 degrees today!)All the juicing in the world doesn't even help, so I just write a note to myself and put it on the bathroom mirror to remind myself that I am lucky to be alive and with a wonderful family (or some other silly little message!)...It becomes my "mantra" for the day so when I am feeling grumpy or out of sorts, I state it in my head as a reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quote Kim!

    I am going to try the soup recipe it sounds yummy!

    Have the BEST weekend.

    Lea
    xo

    PS. Thank you, for uplifting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are feeling better. The recipe looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the soup looks so yummy. I think I will have to try it. It's been so cold and snowy around here lately. Soup would do us all a bit of good! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are feeling better! It's so hard to be overwhelmed with busyness and then not feel yourself (physically) on top of that. Hoping today is better!

    Meant to tell you that I started your Bible reading plan this year and am really enjoying it! I love reading through different sections together. Awesome! I'm trying to get a major head start though. With our new additions, I'm afraid things may come to a halt in a few months...

    And I'm holding you to your promise that 4 is the magical age! I desperately need Eveley (who will be 4 in April) to be an absolute princess for me this next year!! =)

    Praying for you friend!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I've been reading your blog awhile, but don't think I've ever commented. My husband and I made this soup today and it is delicious! A great treat for a cold day! And it is quite healthy! Thanks for sharing!

    Bridgette
    Raleighandbridgette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kim, I have jsut had a little catch up on your blog and its so good to read something "real" in bloggy land. I myself am guilty of keeping up the happy face even when sometimes my heart is breaking. Choosing happiness sums it up and its something I have had to learn to do. Bad days are ok, bad weeks not. Your soup looks fab!! My kids love a butternut soup.
    Love and hugs
    Jules
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it looks good enough...not something I'd probably try if you weren't recommending it....but I will give it a try!
    Thanks for sharing, always love to try new recipes, especially vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got nailed here in Philadelphia with snow and going to make the chili you posted years ago.
    I made it last winter and it was awesome and so simple!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.