Pages

Family News

Saturday, January 30, 2016
I will post Christmas 2015 photos this week.  I have never skipped blogging about a Christmas and I can't start now.

Let's see what is new at our house...

Will has heard back from all of the colleges he applied to. He applied to 8 schools. He was admitted to all of them and got academic scholarships at 7/8. The only school that did not award a scholarship was Texas A & M (it is a GREAT school but it was his safety school as it is close and extremely reasonably priced).  It is too big for him though.

He has narrowed his options down to four schools and is visiting some this month.  I think he will have a decision by the end of February. Let's hope.

I have started gathering a few things for him for college as I see them... towels, a travel bag, etc... little by little. I think starting to get some things ready is helping me deal with reality. I know it might seem silly but it helps me.  I plan to make him a supplement/medicine box.  I keep all sorts of natural supplements and vitamins here and the kids always come to me asking...Mom, what can I take for XYZ?  So, I am going to make him one with all our regulars to take to school.

I am happy/sad about this phase. I know this is what we work so hard for as parents.  He is an amazing kid with great values and awesome options.  He is stepping out into adulthood.  It is still really hard to start letting go.

Will just finished up varsity swim season and has moved right into water polo.  It is weird knowing this is the last time he will be in organized sports like this as he will not swim in college.  He is leading two weekend retreats this month (confirmation and Kairos) and I am so proud of him.  That is where Will really excels and it is what he loves doing.  I hope he finds opportunities for Spiritual Leadership in college.  God gave him a gift for that.

Will and Elizabeth went to her Winter Formal this month.  I did not get good photos. It was dark and rainy that evening and I got a new camera and ended up returning it as it would not focus. Anyway...here are some shots.  They looked fabulous.  Elizabeth is really a beautiful person.

Untitled


Untitled


Untitled

I began this blog 9 years ago on January 7, 2007.  Can you believe that?  I have 9 years of family memories on this site.  Thank you for hanging around that long.  I know a lot of people have probably stopped checking in as I don't write that frequently anymore.  But I am so grateful for the friendships I have made from the adoption community and the blogging community.

Kate is busy working on gymnastics, crafting, knitting and her science fair project.  She is looking at the difference between tap water and alkaline water on cut flowers.  Let me just say now...I loathe the science fair at this age.  I think that participating in ONE science fair in 5th grade or higher is a great idea. At her school it is mandatory in 3, 4 and 5th grades.  That is too much.  Kate LOVES science but this is killing it for her.

She is making sweet little hand made boxes for Valentine's Day for each kid in her class.  Then we will fill them with something.

Here are a few phone pictures of Kate..

Untitled
{At a fun Spa birthday party}

Kate knitted this blanket for herself over Christmas break and Scout loved it.

IMG_9806

So being the sweet thoughtful girl that she is...she knit Scout her own little blanket...

IMG_9831

These are the Valentine boxes she is making completely by hand.... I think she has 20 more still to make!

IMG_9883

Harry is doing well.  He is as entrepreneurial as ever. I don't think I am allowed to post about this businesses here though. He is currently playing lacrosse at his high school but he is not loving it right now.  We will see if he continues or finds something else to do in high school.  I do strongly encourage my kids to play a sport or be involved in their school community but I also want them to be happy so I don't "force" them to do something if it is not right for them.  He will find his thing.  It may be lacrosse and it may not be.

Harry got his driver's learning permit this month too...

Untitled

I simply cannot believe how quickly these kids are growing up!

I spoke at a women's retreat this month on marriage.  I was dreading it as the retreat was right after Christmas and I was pressed for time to prepare.  But it ended up being such a blessing and honor to have the opportunity to share with these women.  God has made His calling so clear to me as I love getting to do what I do for a living. When I am speaking or working with clients, it never feel like work. It always feels like I am right where God wants me to be. And trust me there are many times in other areas of my life that I don't feel that way.

Life is really busy in our house right now.  Three kids, three sports, senior year activities, two working parents.  It is a good busy.  A full and blessed life.  I know it is all going to shift a bit in the next 6-8 months so I am trying to be fully present in the here and now.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Will!! I sympathize with you ...Anthony is also a senior & I am having such a hard time letting go! I know it is a good thing, but he will leave such a void when he goes away to college! Thinking of you💗

    ReplyDelete
  2. So enjoy your posts. It is amazing that you have documented your children's lives so beautifully with this blog. If Will chooses Miami we are just a bit down the road and available to support him if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought things for college early too...it also helped me when my girls were going to leave for college. Neither of my girls decided until the middle of March where they wanted to go. It seemed so late to decide but they both made good choices for them. Ultimately, they are really happy so that makes it SO much easier for me to have them at college. It is an exciting new chapter for Will!

    Kate is so talented in so may ways! I wish I knew how to knit, I might have to learn how to do that. I also can't believe how old Harry is looking! Starting to drive also makes them seem so much older too.

    I love reading your blog. You seem to be such a wonderful mom! Hang in there, I am sure Will will make a good decision! It sounds like he has some great opportunities ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happy news all around! My only child is 13, so I can only imagine how you feel as you prepare W to set off on this grand part of his life. I try to remember how I felt at the same time - so excited, but still in need of guidance. Thank you for sharing so much..regards from Austin xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see everyone doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the opposite phase of you. My third (and youngest) child will be graduating from Gonzaga University in May. I am so ready!!! and so happy!!! I must tell you letting go of the first child is truly the hardest -- but as you know time flies! She stayed the closest to home, with each one going further away. We live in California and my Gonzaga is in Spokane, Washington. This will be a tough time and an adjustment, but also an exciting time for your family. Good luck and know that God is always with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so exciting about Will...it really is. I'm hoping he's coming east so we can meet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update. I love reading your blog. Your kids are thriving and it has been fun to watch them grow up.
    On a side note, I hate science fair projects too. Around here, they seem to end after elementary school. I told my husband that we have one more year left for them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed reading your blog over the years and I still check in. My oldest is in 10th and I am savoring every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm so impressed with kate's boxes! she is a true sweetheart! always love catching up with you...i read some of my favorite blogs with my morning coffee and imagine we are catching up together as "old friends"! i think i've been with your blog the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your updates! If you and Will head to Dallas for another SMU visit, please let me know 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your family is doing great! Congratulations to Will! Alyzabeth is making origami boxes for Valentine's Day to put candy in for her classmates, but ours are smaller than Kate's. How do you make her's? They look sturdier than ours. We have two growns who have left for college a long time ago, hopefully I handle it when our AA leaves.... Time slow down please!

    Alyzabeth's Mommy (Alyson)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't come here often as I use to (full time work and full time student) but it's always refreshing to see the kids and catchup on what's going on with your family. While I do get to see some pics on IG, I really love your blog the best!!! Congrats to Will and Harry! Kate is doing awesome in gymnastics....so sending KUDOS to her as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kim! I just watched season 1 of Married at First Site. Fascinating. I cannot even imagine. Thanks for talking about this show I would not have found it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean about finding the time (and motivation) to blog! It is fun to see what your three peanuts are up to:) Love that they are all thriving!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always look forward to your updates, Kim! Looks like everyone is doing great. Will and Elizabeth make a great looking couple--love her dress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.