Pages

Book Club

Saturday, April 14, 2012
newtart_6752

I love love love to read.  And I am in two book clubs.  Yesterday it was my turn to host one of the book clubs at my house for lunch. First, let me tell you about the book.  I actually alluded to it in this post.  It is called The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  I loved this book!  In fact, I know I will re-read it and I rarely re-read a book.  The two main characters are teens with cancer but this book is uplifting and funny as well as poignant.  I laughed out loud several times as the characters are very witty.  I also cried a little and I did not want the book to end.  In fact, I think I read it in 2 days.  I highly recommend this book.  It is classified as young adult fiction but it is such a well written novel that I did not feel like I was reading young adult fiction.  Let me know if you read it.

Now onto lunch....I always enjoy others menus and recipes so I will share mine here. In this book club we serve a light, simple lunch.  I made these quiches (so easy and so good--and the recipe actually makes 2 quiches even though it does not tell you that, so have two crusts ready to fill). I also served a simple mixed green salad with this dressing.  I LOVED this dressing.  Again, it was super easy and I made it the night before. I also made these mini fruit tarts.  But since I did not really have time to make the crusts, I cheated and found some mini tart crusts at Central Market (frozen section...you need to bake them 8-10 minutes).  I made the creme anglaise the night before and then I spooned it into the tarts and topped with fruit (strawberries, blackberries and blueberries) just before my guests arrived.  I used some warmed apricot jam for the fruit glaze.

newtartpop_0039


It is hard to post anything after that last post because I am so conscious of trying to be super authentic and keep it real.  I saw this quote and thought it applied so well to the article I linked to in my last post...

228065168599374471_H2PaAvwa_f

We should not compare ourselves but instead focus on our own blessings and gifts.


{if you try the quiche recipe, reduce the butter to 2 TBS.  That is what I use and it is perfectly adequate}




12 comments:

  1. I read TFIOS about two months ago and thought it was a great balance of serious and humorous as well. The first couple of chapters where the two characters first meet had me laughing out loud.

    I also bookmarked the tart recipe...looks so yummy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered the book. Every time you post a book you love it becomes one of my favs. I so loved Swan House!! Can't wait to start this one!!! Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paige, I am so glad you liked the Swan House. I think you will really enjoy this too.

      Kim

      Delete
  3. i just ordered the book for my 16 year old. She and I love reading and I always get her about 5 books for the summer months. She loves to take them to camp and also reads them on the way to the zoo where she volunteers for the past 2 years. This will be perfect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will volunteered at the zoo last summer too:) I am sure your daughter will like it. His books are very popular with teens.

      Delete
  4. LOVE the quote you attached. I had to quickly refocus myself just this afternoon after hearing of a certain situation our friends are going through. It's so easy to let the enemy steal your joy by allowing you to compare yourself with others. Stupid, when we ourselves are so abundantly blessed. Thanks for keeping it "real." LOVE following the peanut household!! xoxo Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea! I love when the non-book blogs I follow post about books. My blog is (mostly) books, so it's fun to see. As big a reader as I am, I've actually never been in a book club, but if it comes with fruit tarts, I need to find one. :)

    I haven't read The Fault in Our Stars yet, but I'll pick it up at some point. So glad there's enough humor to balance some of the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be Shelby's 3rd year, she loves working the zoo and the friends she has made. It was a huge commitment for me since it took me an hour to drive her there an hour back and then repeat at 4 pm. (that's right a total of 4 hours a day!) But seeing her love what she does was worth all the driving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I was reading this post I went and got my kindle and bought this book... LOVE YA... love the tarts.. looks yummy... Love you sweet lady...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I read the first few pages of the book online at Amazon and I'm hooked! My husband also loves to read, and I think he'd like it too....thanks for the rec

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, love the qoute you posted! I had an experience with that this weekend....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those fruit tarts look DIVINE!!!

    I really like that quote, but I like what you wrote underneath it, even more!

    Just saw your most recent post about your friend "S". I will continue to pray for her and for her family. May they have the courage and strength to fight this. Sounds like she is in great hands at the Mayo Clinic. And I have to add....beautiful floral photo:)

    xoxo,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.