Pages

What we are cooking this week.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

I go in and out of cooking phases. Some weeks I get in slumps and we eat out a lot or have lots of salad with grilled chicken and/or taco nights. Lately though, I am really enjoying cooking again. It might be due to the fact that I have a mother's helper a few afternoons a week to help me juggle homework, school pick-ups and dinner time:) The extra set of hands at that time of day, really makes a difference. Anyway, I love when people post their recipes and menus as it inspires me to try new things. So, here is what is on the menu at the House of Peanuts this week:

Pumpkin Soup~ I made a HUGE pot. Dave and I had it for lunch today and I froze the rest in individual servings for lunches for us throughout the fall. I loved it. Dave thought it was okay but he is not a pureed soup lover like I am. The kids cannot eat this because of the dairy and it is a little spicy. But it would make a GREAT dinner (with salad and bread) for adults and you would have leftovers.

Roasted Chicken with sauteed spinach and garlic and mashed red potatoes (the potatoes are adapted from this book which I LOVE and found at Target!).

Beef Stew~ I adapt it slightly to make it gluten-free but it is from the old Better Home and Gardens red plaid cookbook. The recipe in the book is different from the recipe on-line. Simple and delicious, it is a winter staple in our house. I serve it over gluten free noodles. My grandma used to make us beef goulash over wide noodles as a child so I always like stew over buttered noodles. If you want the recipe, I will post it.

Savory Shrimp with Tomatoes and Avocados~we had this tonight. Here is the recipe. (Sorry to post 2 shrimp recipes in a row. We don't eat shrimp that often (about once a month). I just happened to try two new shrimp recipes recently.

Savory Shrimp with Tomatoes and Avocados

2 tablespoons of butter

4 tablespoons of olive oil

5 cloves of garlic, minced

1 and 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and devined

1/4 cup white wine (I would increase this slightly next time) Most white wines are Gluten free.

1 cup cherry tomatoes halved (mine were so big, I quartered them)

1 tablespoon fresh basil

1 tablespoon fresh oregano

1 tablespoon fresh Italian flat leaf parsley

coarse salt and ground pepper

1 avocado pitted, peeled and diced

2 cups of rice cooked

Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat; add the olive oil. Saute the garlic for one minute, add the shrimp. Saute the shrimp until pink. Add the wine, tomatoes and herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and gently stir in the avocados. Serve over rice. From Peace Meals. Serves 4 (or our family of 5).

I made this tonight and it was easy and delicious. The herbs were fresh from our garden (which is really just random herbs that Dave planted in our flower beds:) This meal was so quick, easy and healthy too. I put the rice in the rice cooker and when it was just about done, I started the shrimp. I will make this again for an easy weeknight meal. Even Kate LOVED it (especially the shrimp!)


DSC_7069

Herbs fresh from our garden.

DSC_7071


DSC_7076

This was just before I added the avocado. I am awful at photographing food while I am cooking with 3 children underfoot. I get too flustered.


25 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!!!!! Oh I miss shrimp! I can almost smell this all the way from Costa Rica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great meal plan! I want to come and eat at your house this week! I would love to have the beef stew recipe if you have time to post it -- no hurry though.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the pumpkin soup looks amazing! i'm going to try it, too! oh and i LOVE that beef stew recipe ... a fall/winter favorite of ours too! i bet mr. rauth would like the shrimp (i can't eat it) so i'll have to make it for him. your photos, as usual, are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmmmmm that looks sooooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that beef stew recepie as well
    noodles and beef!! yummy!!
    also your herbs were pretty too and your cherry tomato's yummy.
    the tomato's looked pretty in the pic cooked as well!

    Sure wished i were a chef as you!
    because i go in and out of eating stages too! lol
    great recepies!

    Good Luck on the picking of the better teacher!
    May all teachers know one will win but all are the prize winners when involved with parents and the best for the children!

    blessings to all today
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are making me hungry. hehee
    And the pics look great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummm! That looks delish!!! Do you used fresh shrimp or frozen?
    p.s. what kind of camera do you have? you take amazing pics! (even with the kids around! hehe!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shrimp recipe looks amazing. I am a shrimp lover, but my husband can't eat any shell fish. :( Maybe a recipe for a girls night dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMY..
    I sooo wish I could make all these AMAZING recipes..
    I need quick crock pot ideas..
    should do a post and let everyone give me some ideas..
    Hugs..
    have a great Sunday..

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks yumm-o!! I adore my red plaid B H & G cookbook...Iinherited my grandma's when she passed away...and everything I make turns out a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I go in and out of cooking phases as well. I think the change of season must have inspired us both:) I have been in the mood too.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas for the week. One place I go is the organizing junkie's meal time Monday lots of links. I cooked some yummy potato soup last Sunday I found there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful recipes, Kim. I am allergic to shell fish :(, but make shrimp dishes often for my guys.
    The pumpkin soup sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing the receipe! It looks great. Best wishes, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need some more tips for eating gluten free. I've been buying Landree gluten free snacks and eating as fresh as we can, but I know there has to be other ways to know if something is gluten free. Like how do you know if spaghetti sauce is gluten free if it doesn't specifically say it on the jar? I have been buying as much as I can at our 'fresh market', but spaghetti sauce is $10 a jar. So how do you modify the stew to make it gluten free? I did just recently notice your gluten free links on the side bar. I guess I could have emailed you...this is long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. All your dishes sound yummy! Pumpkin soup -- have never heard of that -- bet it's good!

    Have a great week!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know your house was gluten free! I'm a gluten free girl myself!

    Would love to see your recipe for the beef stew.

    Sue : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kim

    I had to go back to this post and say that you were so classy by putting everyone in the bowl and randomly drawing out a name!
    Harry is so cute!
    He will be so challenged that he will over succeed one day I feel!
    Thank you for your help in sending in the extra field trip money, or helping in the clas room! Teachers need that support and help as well too!!
    Days I know that you are so challenged yourself and I am so happy for you that you got some help of the evenings for a few hours to do the things you needed to do also!
    You have your hands full too!
    God does see the whole pic though and once again one day your children will know that you did more than JUST take care of them.
    Also I hope that you are feeling better too!
    I think you are just exhausted from all that you have been thru.
    Please every one LIFT! Kim up in your prayers!
    She is a special person with a great big heart!

    Thank you Kim for thinking of the teachers and the asst's as well too!
    Congratulations to Michele! YAY!!! for you Michelle!!!+
    Everyone do you not just love Kim's new BLOG! I love the family time and the family events!
    It all starts at home and I think KIM is one of the finest teachers ever too!
    Blessed she is! with great 3 great pea nuts she has! and One fine mother! she has proven to be!


    Also house boy while she is under the weather again you take care of our our KIM! (LOL) We know you will!
    Thank you Kim for thinking of the teachers!
    I know they appreciate your kindness!

    God's blessings on you to
    love ya!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM, I so hungry now. I love all your meal ideas.

    I love this time of year with all the pumpkin dishes out there. I just pumpkin ravioli the other night and pumpkin tamales last week. I will have to make this soup!

    Oh, I hope you are feeling better! :-) Yes, I visited Sandy Lane last winter (I was on a cruise), it's gorgeous. Barbados isn't my favorite island but Sandy Lane alone is worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love anything with shrimp, and this looks delicious! I'll definitely fix it for us soon. Also want to try the pumpkin soup - yum.

    Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh dear
    your meals always intimidate me...
    would you still be my friend if i told you we grilled burgers , plain ole burgers last night?
    but i did whip up a robin miller creamy fusili mushrooms & chicken dish monday. :)
    you are such a great meal planner my friend
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. My mouth is watering over that shrimp dinner! Do you ship meals to SC? I will be making that one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow....that Savory Shrimp recipe sounds fantastic....definitely will be trying that one! Thanks for posting it!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. THat pumpkin soup was super delicious!!! THank you for sharing the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.