Pages

Grandma's Christmas Butter cookies

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

My Mom has a recipe for my grandmother's butter cookies.  My Mom made them (with us) every year for Christmas.  They are kind of a lot of work and very unhealthy so we have not always made them.  They are also FULL FAT (butter and crisco) and full gluten (hello 9 cups of flour!).  And you know we don't usually eat like that.  So some years we make them and some years we don't.  This year, we did.


Untitled

Untitled

Kate and Elizabeth cutting the maraschino cherries.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The dough gets mixed by hand and typically my Dad or Step-dad or Dave or Will has done this because it takes a bit of strength.  Kate really wanted to do it this year. So, she tried and she did it really well.  Girl is STRONG and determined.



Untitled



Untitled

Untitled


Kate and Dave were trying to put flour on each others' noses....

Untitled


Untitled

Hands were washed many times.  No worries.  I am kind of a germaphobe.

Untitled

Harry is the BOSS of the cookie press.  We used my grandma's original old press.  It is finicky but we have figured it out over the years.  Harry has the magic touch.

Untitled

I have to say that Elizabeth picked it up quite well too.

Untitled

Untitled

She definitely brought her A game.

Untitled


These are the little moments I treasure in life.  Right here.

Untitled

First batch going in...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled



Untitled

Untitled

IMG_9621

It appears as though I never got any photos of the finished cookies.  They were quite delicious.
I cannot believe I did 2 blog posts in one day.  And I have another one ready to post tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I love your family traditions. Your children will cherish them forever. Happy and Blessed New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.