Pages

how i cleared up my acne

Wednesday, March 25, 2015
I never imagined that I would write a post about skin care. I have had years of my life when my skin was great and years when it was awful but in general, I have never loved my skin. It was pretty clear in my 30's but into my 40's it was AWFUL.  However, I have finally found a skin care routine that has really cleared up my skin and I want to share it with others who might have the same problems I did.

For the past several years, I had hormonal breakouts every 2 weeks.  It was embarrassing and I became pretty self conscious about it.  My doctor put me on an antibiotic for a few months about 3 years ago and it cleared up but then it came right back. I do not like being on antibiotics long term so I did not want to try them again.

Last fall, I finally had enough and went to a new dermatologist.  She tried a few things.  None of them worked and I had reactions to one medication.  She eventually said she did not have any more options for me.

Out of complete frustration, I came across an article on Pantothenic Acid and acne.  I read the article and it really clicked for me.  My hair and skin have always been a tad oily compared to my peers.  My micronutrient and mineral tests always show that I am low in pantothenic acid.  Also, I have adrenal and thyroid disease which is related to this article.

BEFORE doing anything, I ran this by my adrenal and thyroid doctor.  But she agreed that it would be safe and plausible for me to increase my dosage of pantothenic acid and see if it worked.  I was not willing to take the mega doses that some suggest.  I was already taking this brand below (one capsule once a day).

Solgar Pantothenic Acid 550mg 100 Vegetable Capsules

However, my doctor and I decided to try two capsules twice a day.  I did read that a few people experience hair thinning on this regimen. Since I did not want to risk that and these other supplements prevent hair thinning and boost the effectiveness of the pantothenic acid, we added this supplement as well.

Twin Lab L-Cysteine  I take one of these with each dose of the Pantothenic Acid.

So, I take two pantothenic acid capsules and one L-cysteine (twice a day- usually with breakfast and after dinner).

I went back to my dermatologist for a check up and told her about these supplements.  She could not believe the improvement in my skin.  She was not aware of these supplements but said she was going to go research them because of the results I had achieved.  I am telling you that the results were fast. My shiny forehead was gone within days. Also, my hair is not oily at all anymore.  I can even skip a day washing it (which I NEVER did before).  I have had only one small blemish in the last 2-3 months! It has been miraculous for me.  I wish I had before and after photos.  My skin is the best it has been in years.

I am sure that some people will take longer to respond or have to increase or decrease their dosage but this worked for me and it worked very quickly.

I also changed my cleansing routine shortly after the supplements.  I now wash with this soap


IMG_6694

You can sometimes find it at Target.  Or you can order it here.

It is awesome.  My skin feels so soft and clean.  It is not drying at all but very cleansing.  I use it morning and night. I cannot imagine ever using anything else to wash my face.

At night, after washing with that soap, I use Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar Organic Raw -- 32 fl oz
on a cotton round as a toner. Do not rinse if off!  I leave that to dry and then follow with a very light moisturizer. The apple cider vinegar has balanced my skin and helped even out the tone.  I have some red marks from my acne and they have lightened immensely and quickly from the ACV.  I have no doubt they will be gone shortly.

If you are new to Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) as a facial toner, start slow.  Shake the bottle well (you want to get the "mother" which is a mix of proteins, enzymes and good bacteria at the bottom of the bottle) and either wet your cotton round with water first or dilute the vinegar.  It might sting a bit.  And your eyes might water a bit.  Just stick with it.  I promise, you will see amazing results.  I use it full strength now but I worked up to that over a few weeks.

My new routine is so easy and inexpensive and my skin has never looked or felt better.  I will never have flawless skin but I am so much happier since it has cleared up.

Also, my boys use these in addition to the soap with great success.  I think teen boys like the ease of these and they have worked great!


IMG_6693


Obviously, I am not a dermatologist or any kind of medical doctor.  I have seen such a dramatic improvement after years of frustration that I wanted to share my finds with y'all.  PLEASE talk to your doctor before adding any of these supplements to your routine.

Also, if you have any questions, leave them in the comments and I will answer them as best I can.

5 comments:

  1. I am lucky that I have clear skin and really always have...very impressed that you did the research and found a solution! Will send this post to a couple of friends (and save it for me since I jinxed myself saying I have clear skin!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, You are so lucky. I have always been so envious of people like you! I am amazed that I finally found something that works.

      Delete
  2. What a timely post! I, too, have struggled with extremely oily skin my whole life (when my blotting papers fell out of my purse, my 19 month old knew to press them to his face yesterday!) and have tried soooo many prescriptions for my moderate acne, but none have ever worked. I bought that soap today at target, and will ask my dr. about the supplements. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, please tell Miss Kate that I have recieved my beautiful scarf. I wore it on Sunday night to dinner with my cousins and they loved it as well and could not believe how beautifully Kate is knitting! Everytime wear it, I will think of Kate and her sweet heart!
    Love ya, Norah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this Kim! This routine plus a strict diet is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.