Pages

Dewberry Farm 2014

Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Kate loves Dewberry Farm. And Will and Harry did too when they were younger.  I will admit that the first time or two we went was fun.  But over the years, I have come to dread going a bit.  The crowds have gotten crazy (and I hate crowds) and it has become ridiculously expensive and a little commercialized.  The truth is though, we live in a huge city and there are not many options for pumpkin patches or corn mazes.  So a few weeks ago, we had an open Saturday morning and we woke up early and headed out to the burbs.   When we left it was sunny and warm at our house but by the time we got there, it was rainy and cold.

I guess it was a little bit of a blessing in disguise because it was not crowded at all.  And the most important thing is...Kate and Harry had fun.  The rain did not seem to bother them a bit.

Harry's favorite thing for years has been these pedal cars.  He loves them and so we started there.

Dew14_8546

Dew14_8553

After the pedal cars, Kate wanted to jump on the bouncy pillows but they were too wet and slippery, so it was off to the corn cannons....

DSC_8557

Dew14_8558

Dew14_8569

Dew14_8573

These cannons are very loud and powerful but their accuracy seems lacking.  
Nonetheless, the kids enjoy them every year.

It was raining but that did not slow Kate and Harry down a bit.  They jumped in these wheels and started racing...

Dew14_8586

Dew14_8595


Dew14_8604

Is is awful that I have serious envy of Kate's calf muscles?  Wait, don't answer that.
She might be tiny but the girl is STRONG!

Dew14_8613

Dew14_8634

They got completely wet on the zip lines but they did not care.

Dew14_8663

Dew_8661


Dew14_8653

I love seeing my kids laugh and play together. Unfortunately, Will had work and a retreat meeting.  I think this will likely be Harry's last year going, so I tried to really soak it up.  My kids are growing up so fast!

Dew_8639

Off to the gem mine...

Dew14_8679

Dew14_8682

Dew14_8686


Kate's tongue of concentration..all 3 peanuts do that (Dave too).


Dew14_8695

We did not end up taking the hayride this year out to the pumpkin patch or doing the corn maze but everyone had fun doing what we did.

Dew14_8697

And of course, they LOVE the kettle corn.

Looking at old photos it looks like maybe we skipped last year. I know we went in 2012 (and I have a short video of it) on October 7th but it looks like my computer crashed shortly thereafter and I never posted about it.  I am going to have to try to dig those photos out of my old computer.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! There wasn't a lack of fun at this farm-so many activities! I feel the same way about our pumpkin patch. We went a few weeks ago and it was so crowded that you could barely walk through the place. I think I will be looking for a new location next year! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness. Your sweet kids are getting so big! I feel the same way about crowds, and that's why we skipped the State Fair here this year. So far, my kids haven't seemed to notice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great time! I am considering putting my 4 year old in MWF school again next year (rather than every morning, as most of his friends will be doing), partly so that we can still do fun stuff like this on Tuesday and Thursday. Our orchards and farms are crazy on the weekends as well--I just can't handle the crowds!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.