Pages

Sweet Harry

Sunday, March 25, 2012
Harry can be quite thoughtful sometimes and I want to share a few sweet things he has done recently so that I remember them.  I have found they kind of outgrow this extreme thoughtfulness for a spell during the teen years. HA!

About a week ago, we went to a little outdoor market.  I had not been feeling well (the heart stuff).  Harry found some handmade soap and had me come over to smell the different scents.  After I walked away, he bought me the one I liked the best as a little surprise. Isn't that sweet?  Is smells faulous!

DSC_0029


Then today, we went to a fundraiser for Parkinson's disease.  We have a friend who is suffering from it rather badly and he was hosting the fundraiser. Parkinson's is very near and dear to our hearts as my step father (and the only grandfather the boys have ever known---Kate never got to meet him) died from it.  We loved him very, very much.  So, today Harry donated a good bit of his savings to Parkinson's.  It was completely his own idea as we had already donated as a family. He has such a big heart.  I love his generosity.


And finally...Harry did get into the middle school he wanted to go to!  It is complicated but part is based on academic merit and another admission is based on lottery.  The academic merit part is extremely difficult and competitive.  Harry was admitted to both options!  That way he can choose a language magnet program (taking 6 languages as a survey next year and all advanced classes) or the regular GT program of advanced classes.

I am so thrilled that both boys have so many great choices among the schools they applied to.  They are both great students and it is nice that their hard work has paid off.  I never, ever have to ask Harry to do his homework or study. He is completely self motivated.  I do check in with Will about homework a little bit but he is really responsible about school too. Although we have our occasional battles, they are not typcially school related.  I hope Kate works this responsibly at school work too.

Speaking of schools and school work.... If you are in the Houston area, I am on a panel facilitating a viewing and discussion of the powerful documentary, Race to Nowhere  at Becker Early Childhood center this Thursday night at 6:30 pm.  It is free and open to the public.  I would highly recommend it.  It is absolutely eye opening.

14 comments:

  1. Prayers from CT. We are praying that all goes well for you today. I pray that you have the strength to handle what comes your way. I'm here if there is anything I can do or help you with.

    Prays and Hugs from CT.
    Caroline

    I'm identifying myself, was with Di visitng when you called :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Caroline! Went to cardiologist this morning and am wearing a heart monitor right now. He was SO thorough and so kind. I did not get the brush off at all. I had an echo today and have a stress test next week. He thinks t could be related to my adrenal insufficiency.

      Kim

      Delete
  2. I love a guy with a sweet heart. That speaks VOLUMES for his dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a little sweetie pie! I think those sweet kids of yours have learned well (they have incredible parents) so you know what they say about the apples falling off the tree!! You are blessed but so are they. Congrats to him on all those wonderful choices for schools...how very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet!! Congrats to Harry! I keep thinking that maybe we could fix Harry up with Maddy when they get older -- they'd make such a cute couple! :) Bless his sweet heart and all of your kiddos! Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a sweetie..and SO good to his little sister. I pray everyday that he will met an equally sweet wife one day. We'll have to see what we can so in 10-15 years;)

      Delete
  5. What an amazing son you are raising!! He sounds like such a sweet and thoughtful boy and it's definitely a tribute to the values and life he sees at home.

    Hope you are feeling better soon and having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I'm happy to hear you have a doctor who is taking things seriously. One word of caution, continue to do what you would normally do with the monitor. I was afraid things would look bad and would hardly do anything when I had to wear one. They had a hard time finding my issues after my sugery because of that. Then one day, I was forced to do something and the doctor finally saw it on the monitor and was able to make the quality of my life so much better.

    Let me know how you make out.
    I have you in my prayers.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for supporting Parkinson's Research!!! It is a terrible disease that can slowly erase the person you knew. I am sorry your stepfather suffered from it, but love, love, love hearing about people learning more about it, donating to the cause and bringing greater public awareness to the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely heart your Harry has. Our Buddy has the same sweetness and I can't wait to see who he becomes!

    I hosted Race to Nowhere at our church last year for our community. It was a sell out with wonderful discussion after. Would love to see your panel too....I am sure you will offer great insight.

    Have you heard of the movie Finding Kind? Great premise on the issues with mean girls. I am working on bringing that to our community next, hopefully in May. Curious if you have seen it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not seen FInding Kind but it sounds right up my alley! I will check it out.

      Delete
  9. Oh Harry is so sweet! I always think of him when we are at our appointments with little Lola. I actually started writing about that in the e-mail I just sent you but it was turning into a rambling novel that was all over the place so I just ended up deleting it and sending my address - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Harry is so sweet!! Both of my Grandfather's suffered from Parkinson's as well, so tell Harry thank you for supporting such a wonderful foundation. How proud you must have been when you realized what he did with his money!

    What wonderful news on the school options! Sounds like he will have some tough choices to make, but I am sure you will all choose what is right for him.

    Have a great week Kim~

    xoxo,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you get some answers and solutions from your doctor soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kindness.